Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Benifits of Reading Aloud

This week I am reading two books...one for fun and one for learning.

Curse you my unquenchible search for knowledge!

I actually think I inherited this from my dad.  I used to find him at the kitchen table pouring over my calculus book when I was in high school.  I couldn't believe that a grown person would actually do that for fun...now I get it.

Book 1

Let's begin with the fun book...Nim's Island by Wendy Orr.


 
 
I am currently reading this book with a small group of fifth grade girls.  I set the stage by reading them chapters 1 and 2 last week and I was totally hooked. (And I am pretty sure they were too!)  I admire the spirit and spunk of this young girl being raised on a magnificant island by just her dad. But don't worry...they have a satellite dish so they are not with out cell phones, a solar panel, a laptop and flashlights.

The girls immediately asked me if I had seen the movie, hopefully we can watch it together when we finish!

To sum it all up, great book! 

Book 2


Now, onto the learning side of today's post...

I am currently on chapter 5 of The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease (sixth edition).

This book has been so eye opening I actually got out my highlighter and wrote in my book!  I haven't done that in about 12 years  since college!  It is so packed full of amazing data and snipits of people from real life that I have been continuously running to my family and co-workers with the "you will never guess what I just learned from this book" comments.  (Sorry guys...I love to share!)

I would recommend this book to all parents, teachers and anyone else who is responsible for a child's learning. 

I am proposing that we do a book study...but I am going to need a few volunteers to read this book along with me.  I know, we are all busy, but believe me, you don't want to miss out on what this book has to offer.  So, please leave a comment below if you would like to participate and head right out to your local bookstore and pick up a copy.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com and it has been worth every cent! Follow the link below if you want to order yours!






Can't wait to read with you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment